The first Orthodox church in Kilie - St. John --byl built by the Byzantines in the 11th century (1077 g). During the reign of the Moldavian ruler Stephen the Great on the site it was built (1464-1479) the great temple of St. Nicholas, which is likely to destroy the Ottoman Turks. In its place in the years 1485-1489 Moldovans built semi-underground church of St. Nicholas, which has been preserved to our time. In the Ottoman Empire to build non-Muslim temples were allowed, but not more than 2.5 meters (according to one version, they do not exceed the height of the Turkish rider on horseback with a spear, on the other - not to rise above the Turkish mosque). Therefore, most of the buildings of the Orthodox Church was located underground.
Church lit only by candles, as a result of the walls were covered with a thick layer of soot, which allowed in churches preserved during the restoration to restore the paintings of the time.
The church was rebuilt in the 1640s at the expense of Moldavian master Basil Lupula - Test Bohdan Khmelnytsky. The church was decorated inside and out with white marble imported from Greece. Neo-Baroque bell-tower was built much later - in 1891.
In Soviet times, the church was closed, it was used as a coal depot and then completely abandoned and turned into a garbage dump. Marble cladding removed. The church bell was used on the local ferry. In 1992, the temple was restored and the service was resumed - here again the choir sing, and the floors are carpeted on the old Moldavian tradition.